This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Trying to active Quick Sync encoding, where to start?

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:05 PM
Edited Jun 1, 2015 at 10:06 PM
I read the FAQs to determine if I'm using Quick Sync hardware acceleration to speed up encoding. I checked my log file and found "QuickSync encoding supported available = false". It's not working.

I have a Intel 3770k with an Asus P8Z77-V Pro. I did my research. I went into my BIOS to enable iGPU, rebooted. Windows then found a new unknown driver. I went to Asus's website and downloaded the Intel Graphics drivers for my mobo (Intel Graphics Accelerator Driver V8.15.10.2598 for Windows Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit.(WHQL).

I installed the driver, rebooted. The graphics device now shows up correctly. But now what do I do? I ran an encode in MCEBuddy, check the logs, and its still showing up as false.

What do I do to enable quick sync and speed up encoding times using hardware acceleration? Thanks.
Jun 1, 2015 at 10:15 PM
did you use the false monitor trick to active the card? It's there in the FAQ's

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:59 PM
rboy1 wrote:
did you use the false monitor trick to active the card? It's there in the FAQ's
I must be brain dead. I cant find that FAQ link (found it through Google previously). Can you please provide the link. I did find this walk through. Is this what you're referring to?

https://mirillis.com/en/products/tutorials/action-tutorial-intel-quick-sync-setup_for_desktops.html
Jun 2, 2015 at 12:56 AM
yes that the one, and that's clarified in Question 7 of the FAQ's. I just updated the FAQ 7 title to make it clearer. thanks for the feedback

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 10/15/2015 at 3:09 AM
Jun 12, 2015 at 4:33 PM
Hi Rboy. It's still not working. I managed to get the false monitor trick working. I can now see there is a x.264 (QSV) option in Handbrake which is pretty cool! But my logs in MCEBuddy are still showing "false" for Quicksync.

I cant find those FAQs. Can you please post the link again? What do I do now to troubleshoot? Thanks!
Jun 12, 2015 at 5:21 PM
Edited Jun 12, 2015 at 5:25 PM
OK so I found the FAQs. Here they are for anyone who needs them: https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/549347

I'll work through these tonight to see if I'm missing something but please let me know if you have any tips.

Just a question - I'm a bit confused. Can the encoder use my Nvidia GPU (OpenGL?) and my CPU (QSV) at the same time for max performance, or is it one or the other? Do I need to enable both? My GPU is a MSI N660 TF 2GD5/OC and I have an Ivy Bridge 3770k CPU.
Jun 12, 2015 at 5:36 PM
either one and always go for quicksync. Also it's not OpenGL but OpenCL which is supported, OpenGL is not.

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:39 PM
Wait so I can only use one or the other?
Jun 12, 2015 at 6:18 PM
You can only use one card at a time. On the intel card card you can enable both if your driver supports it. But read the FAQ's again, OpenCL offloading benefits only in some situations hence it's not enabled by default.

Jun 15, 2015 at 2:54 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2015 at 2:55 PM
Hi Rboy1 - so I played around with the settings this weekend and could still not get it to work. I went through the FAQs but still nothing?

Comments:
-I have the 3rd monitor running (I can see it on the "screen resolution" settings when right clicking on my desktop
-I installed the latest drivers for my Asus mobo (Intel Graphics Accelerator Driver V8.15.10.2598 for Windows Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit.(WHQL))
-after I did this, I could see the H.264 (QSV) option in Handbrake, so I know it's working
-I tried some encodes using Handbrake and H.264 (Intel QSV) and it worked fine
-hardware acceleration is enabled in MCEBuddy

So at this point I dont know what to do. My MCEBuddy logs are still showing "QuickSync encoding supported available -> FALSE". Do you want me to email you my log?
Jun 15, 2015 at 6:37 PM
yes, better if you can upload the log and post the link here
Jun 15, 2015 at 7:20 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but where do you want me to upload it to?
Jun 15, 2015 at 7:23 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2015 at 7:23 PM
NM, I see it's an FTP. I dont have FileZilla and dont really know how to use it. Let me see how long the log is and I will post it here. Thanks.

https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/395631
Jun 15, 2015 at 7:45 PM
COPY AND PASTE URL in WINDOWS EXPLORER: ftp://files.mcebuddy2x.com/upload
You can upload and download files by dragging and dropping them. Alternative you can use a FTP client like FileZilla to upload the files.
Jun 15, 2015 at 8:27 PM
Great, I will do so tonight. Thanks.
Jun 16, 2015 at 2:35 PM
Rboy I sent you a PM.
Jun 16, 2015 at 8:15 PM
Rboy please respond to my PM re: what personal info is contained in the logs (passwords etc). Thanks.
Jun 17, 2015 at 4:25 AM
I haven't received any PM. Drop us a line at [email removed]

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:16 PM
Rboy, I want to send you my log, but I am concerned about posting it on a public FTP. What personal info is included in the log? IP addressses, usernames/passwords for NASs etc. Please let me know exactly what personal info is captures in the log files.

Is there a way to send you the log privately? Thanks.
Jun 17, 2015 at 11:09 PM
You can open the log and run through it. The password is masked. Remove anything you don't want. Otherwise upload it to your site and email me the link

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:21 PM
Hi Rboy1 - sorry I never responded to this thread. I was unable to get QuickSync working with MCEBuddy. In the end I gave up. But the main reason was because I did test it in Handbrake, and it resulted in much bigger file sizes.

I subsequently came to figure out Quicksync offers speed in exchange for larger files sizes. I'm not sure what the point is. I could always use my quality slider with regular encodes to get a similar result, or why bother encoding at all and just use the raw files etc? Quicksync seems to have VERY limited applications.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.
Jul 24, 2015 at 7:24 PM
Also, in your release notes from a while back, you mentioned like 12X speed increases. You should probably include a footnote to say this assumes you use QuickSync, which has some huge caveats. I wonder how many people actually use it?
Jul 24, 2015 at 8:24 PM
Most folks use quicksync to get quick conversions esp when you have a lot of recording to go through.
the downside of any hardware encoder is the quality (atleast for now, I'm sure this change in future). We're also playing around with NVENC hardware encoders but not significantl different. The biggest culprit for this is the lack of 2 pass encoding.

Than again most folks are pretty okay with the HD quality returned by hardware encoders, the uber top quality (HDX to say) is something that software still have as an edge over hardware.

However having said that your can customize the quickencoding parameters significantly with the newer builds of handbrake and by using the recommended drivers (see FAQ). If you're willing to invest the time you can fine tune bframes, GOP sizes, pyramid, trellis etc etc to get the quality/size you need.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 10/15/2015 at 3:09 AM
Nov 22, 2015 at 7:30 PM