Extracting metadata (episode, showname etc) from files and supplementing from internet

Jun 27, 2015 at 1:19 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how MceBuddy knows what showname, episode name etc is not XML, INI file exists and just recorded TS file in format SHowName-EpisodeNumber-EpisodeName.ts present? I don't see an option to instruct MceBuddy to pattern match incoming file where I would be able to specify how to parse incoming file name.

How does it work? I looked through documentation but did not find this topic, only the topic how to rename destination file instead.
Coordinator
Jun 27, 2015 at 4:44 PM
Edited Jul 18, 2015 at 9:48 PM
Good question, changing the title and making this a Sticky Thread.

MCEBuddy can extract metadata in many ways from a file, summarizing the ways:
  1. Extract from WTV and DVRMS file using Windows DirectShow filters (see this thread on how to install the filters in Windows Servers)
  2. Extract from containers that support metadata like MP4, MKV, M4V, AVI, MP3 and WMV
  3. Extract from proprietary recording software containers like TiVO
  4. Extract using supporting metadata files like XML, NFO and PROPERTIES from Media Portal, nPVR, ICETv, SageTV, ArgusTV and XBMC
  5. If non of the above work then MCEBudddy look at extracting metadata from the filename, currently it supports the following formats:
    a. SHOWNAME_AIRDATE_AIRTIME.<ext> where AIRDATE is in YYYYMMDD format and AIRTIME is in HHMMHHMM (Start and End) format (AIRTIME is optional)
    b. MOVIE_IMDBID.<ext> or SHOWNAME_IMDBID.<ext> where IMDBID is the imdb id for the Movie or Episode (Showname taken from title)
    c. MOVIE (YEAR).<ext> or SHOWNAME.SxxExx.SUBTITLE.<ext> where YEAR is the year in which the Movie was released and SUBTITLE is the Episode name of the Season xx Episode xx of the Show. The dot can be substituted with a space, dash or any character (MCEBuddy will ignore it).

Once it extracts the metadata it then it proceeds to match the metadata against the various databases on the internet (TVDB, IMDB, TMDB, TV.com) to download the missing metadata and supplement the information. To so this successfully it needs ATLEAST 2 pieces of information (Showname and one more)
  1. Showname
    (AND any one or more the following)
  2. Original Broadcast Air Date (only date required, does not match time)
  3. Season AND Episode numbers
  4. IMDB Id for the Movie or Episode (not for Show but Episode)
If the Showname and one or more of the above pieces of information are found while extracting metadata MCEBuddy will try to match and download the remaining information from the internet. If the data does not match the information on the internet it will not be able to download the information. You can look at the details on the extraction and matching process in the conversion log file.

Also see this thread for more details on the downloading process:
http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/432598
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 6/27/2015 at 8:44 AM
Coordinator
Jul 16, 2015 at 1:40 AM
Added support for nPVR naming format for movies and shows, now MCEBuddy can extract from the nPVR titles also:
MOVIE (YEAR).<ext> or SHOWNAME.SxxExx.SUBTITLE.<ext> where YEAR is the year in which the Movie was released and SUBTITLE is the Episode name of the Season xx Episode xx of the Show.
Coordinator
Jul 18, 2015 at 9:50 PM
Edited Jul 18, 2015 at 9:57 PM
Added support for SiliconDust DVR file naming format. So essentially the nPVR format, the . can be replaced with any character and MCEBuddy will ignore it while extracting the information.

E.g. all 3 will work
Law & Order Special Victims Unit S05E21 20040420 Criminal
Law & Order Special Victims Unit.S05E21.20040420.Criminal
Law.&.Order.Special.Victims.Unit.S05E21.20040420.Criminal
However with the 3rd option while internet matching will take place, the Title will have .'s in it. If you don't want the .'s then select the option to Overwrite Title from IMDB in the conversion task -> expert settings -> metadata correction page
Jul 19, 2015 at 12:42 AM
Your work continues to be amazing.....thank you for looking at my request and adding it. I'm sure with SD DVR it will help many others.

Just ran a test show through MCDBUDDY and it did it all perfectly

Just sent ya another $20 as a thank you!!! I know you don't ask for money...but since using MCEBUDDY for the past 2 years...I figured I was due to give another donation.

Eric
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2015 at 1:45 AM
Thank you very much, really appreciate it. Do spread the word. We're trying our best keep to post the latest stuff on facebook so it's easy to share.

The next trick would be to see how we can make the filename more flexible, so far it's on through a regex, but not many folks know that.

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:02 AM
I tried to look that one up.....

Any good places to learn how to use that for a non-programmer... I'm technical, and use to have 4 batch scripts to modify, move, get metadata, until MCEBUDDY came along.

I would love to learn how to use regex...but the stuff I was reading looked greek to me :)
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2015 at 4:05 PM
Yes I know that' why the hesitation, just google regex builders and you some very interesting options.

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:12 PM
Edited Nov 29, 2015 at 2:39 PM
I'm converting a TS file to MP4 format and hoping to use an NFO file to update various metadata fields in the resulting MP4 file. All the fields are updating properly except the Title field, which is apparently getting updated via AtomicParsley command line with a combination of Season, Episode Number and Episode Name. Is there any way to control or specify this value? This "Title" field appears to be correct during the early step of extracting metadata but gets changed when writing metadata to file.

The TVShowName is actually getting updated with the Title value, but I need the Title field to match the Title value.

Thanks

EDIT : I just found another thread by searching for AtomicParsley (https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/638654) , this seems to address my problem. I don't understand the "settings are hard coded" part, but it does offer a work around.

Thanks again.
Dec 24, 2015 at 9:22 PM
Based on the list above, as well as results from my own conversion tests, it appears that any metadata - show title, air date - contained in the WTV file overrides any subsequent values contained in NFO file or filename. Is there any way to change this behavior?

I'm struggling to get source data that has been recorded from Windows Media Center and HDPVR Capture processed and moved to Plex in a format where all show/episode information is usable. Two main issues so far, (1) my programs are sports related. i.e. non-episodic and not available thru online meta databases, and (2) the air date metadata contained in WTV file is corrupt in some recordings. I found a DVR-MS metadata editor from 2005 that seems to work okay for now, but any suggestions or options you can offer will be appreciated.

Thanks
Coordinator
Dec 25, 2015 at 1:37 AM
So you have a NFO file that you've created which you want to use to override the default extracted info? The way it works currently is that it first extracts the meta from the WTV and then supplements it from any support metadata file (not overwriting)

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:01 AM
The two fields I need to change are Showname and AirDate (Year,Month,Day). If my source file is WTV, I cannot find a way to change them, it uses the values contained in the WTV metadata fields regardless of contents of NFO or source filename. If my source file is TS, it will use values in NFO or filename.
Dec 28, 2015 at 5:57 PM
@pfishkat
I've looked for the same thing in the past and the only method I was able to find was a manual overwrite of metadata using mp3tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/). I use it for kids shows which almost always seem to have incorrect season/episode information. The manual method works, but it would be much better if it was automated.
Dec 30, 2015 at 12:39 AM
@mbarylski - thanks for the reply. I have used mp3tag also to manually update metadata as needed and found it quite useful. In this instance I need the show title to be updated prior to processing with MCEbuddy to make use of custom file renaming.
Coordinator
Jan 6, 2016 at 10:05 PM
Fixed with the new 2.4.4 BETA build. Now the metadata in an external file (XML/NFO/ARG etc) will take precedence over metadata extracting from within the file. This will allow for users to override incorrect metadata.

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:21 PM
Say on the above example:

I have custom renaming set:
Title\Season 1\Title - S01E02 - Subtitle

according to above:
"c. MOVIE (YEAR).<ext> or SHOWNAME.SxxExx.SUBTITLE.<ext> where YEAR is the year in which the Movie was released and SUBTITLE is the Episode name of the Season xx Episode xx of the Show. The dot can be substituted with a space, dash or any character (MCEBuddy will ignore it)."

Metadata does not seem to match here as the resulting name will come out looking like the orignal and the Subtitle is not added.

Based on the following instuctions:
"However with the 3rd option while internet matching will take place, the Title will have .'s in it. If you don't want the .'s then select the option to Overwrite Title from IMDB in the conversion task -> expert settings -> metadata correction page"

This works but I have to put in an exception for every single show name that might might have the dots.

Can there be a setting or rule somewhere to really just ignore dots or dashes and treat them like spaces? With this I think it would just work every time?

Thank you for your hard work on this product!!!
Coordinator
Feb 23, 2016 at 1:05 PM
Are you using the latest 2.4.4 build?

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:35 PM
Edited Mar 4, 2016 at 11:39 PM
Yes, I have been using the latest build 2.4.4

I did some testing today and it seems to boil down to capitalizing the titles and multi-word titles not getting the episode name.

Checked: Rename and sort by video information
Checked: Enable custom file renaming
Set to: %showname%\Season %season%#\%showname% - S%season%##E%episode%## - %episodename%

Expert Settings - Correction
Checked: Download cover art
Checked: Overwrite title from IMDB

For multi-word titles with no correction mapping set:
Source: Better.Call.Saul.S02E03.720p.DD5.1.H.264.mkv
Result: \Better.Call.Saul\Season 2\Better.Call.Saul - S02E03 - 720p.DD5.1.H.264.m4v
Source: better.call.saul.S02E03.720p.DD5.1.H.264.mkv
Result: \better.call.saul\Season 2\better.call.saul - S02E03 - 720p.DD5.1.H.264.m4v
Title case stays as-is in both cases and episode name is not inserted while extra from original name is left in.

For one word titles with no correction mapping set:
Source: portlandia.s06e07.720p.hdtv.x264.mkv
Result: portlandia - S06E07 - Family Emergency.m4v
Title case stays as-is, but unlike multi-word titles the episode name is properly inserted.

When a correction is mapped for a multi-word title:
Original Title: Better.Call.Saul
Corrected title: Better Call Saul
Source: Better.Call.Saul.S02E03.720p.DD5.1.H.264.mkv
Result: \Better Call Saul\Season 2\Better Call Saul - S02E03 - Amarillo.m4v
Everything works, but this means that a correction needs to be set for any multi-word title that is processed.
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2016 at 5:06 AM
There needs to e defined logic for parsing titles, if you can define a reliable logic we'll be happy to implement it.

See this for details on parsing titles:

Coordinator
Mar 5, 2016 at 6:14 AM
MCEBuddy is working fine, the issue is with your filename.

There's an extra 20040420 which is messing it up. Without that it works perfectly!

MCEBuddy is expecting:
SHOWNAME.SxxExx.SUBTITLE.<ext>

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:36 PM
You linked back to this thread for details on parsing titles, but that's why I posted here originally. The extra 20040420 part was from your example above.

I'm trying to point out that the results are different if the title has more than one word in it. If it is a one word title, it doesn't matter what is extra text is at the end of the title, it will parse it perfectly as configured and drop the extra text. But if the title has more than one word, It parses the Title and Season/Episode but sticks with the extra part of the filename instead of replacing with the episode name.

And even though Overwrite title from IMDB is enabled, it's not as the IMDB title has capitalization correct, it sticks with the tile from the filename. (periods included)

Doing a mapping for the title name fixes both of these issues, but it seems to be able to parse some of it (one word titles) so a mapping shouldn't be needed.

Dealing with the periods might be another problem and requesting a feature. I just want to use MCEBuddy as the one stop drop, convert, rename properly. I've always hoped for the IMDB matching and HDHomeRun features, and was pleasantly surprised when they were added. Thank you so much for your hard work on MCEBuddy.
Coordinator
Mar 6, 2016 at 12:59 PM
I'm not sure I understand can you give some examples and explain

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2016 at 2:40 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2016 at 2:40 PM
Okay so we've come up with a new algorithm to match Metadata and title with online providers.
Now MCEbuddy can ignore 3 special characters (._-) in Title names while looking for information online

Try out the latest todays' 2.4.4 BETA build
Mar 6, 2016 at 10:27 PM
Yes, it works!

But a lowercase filename still results in a lowercase title.

While I'm sure this could easily be corrected, I'd worry that both might just be band-aids?

Total shot in the dark here: It's almost seems like there is a variable with the title, but it's not getting updated to the IMDB title, and remains as the original filename (or at least its title portion, periods and case included). It would seem that it is matching both before and after the algorithm change, as the cover art is downloaded, but even it retains the filename portion of the title.

In other words checking the box: "Overwrite title from IMDB" doesn't really, but internally it does seem to be matching the title to IMDB.

I hope this helps. Thank you so much! Donated again, just because.
Coordinator
Mar 6, 2016 at 10:38 PM
Can you please share an example.

MCEBuddy use a little bit of fuzzy logic when matching the metadata title to the internet in order to make a successful match (like the current issue of ignoring special characters). It also ignores whitespaces while doing a title match. However it does not replace the title unless you check the options. I.e. it will make a match, download the *supplement* the information but will not overwrite the title unless asked.

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:31 PM
For a one word title with no correction mapping set.
checked: "Overwrite title from IMDB"
Source: portlandia.s06e07.720p.hdtv.x264.mkv
Result: portlandia - S06E07 - Family Emergency.m4v

Clearly it's matched, as it gets the episode name and the cover art is downloaded (but also named lowercase portlandia).
If it really was overwriting wouldn't it be uppercase?
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2016 at 2:06 AM
If you open your log file and go through it you'll see that it didn't find a match for the show in IMDB hence no overwriting.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:59 AM
Uploaded logs to: Discussion 640539

It does match TVDB and TV.com, so it gets the episode name and description.

It just sticks with the lowercase name.
Coordinator
Mar 8, 2016 at 2:30 AM
Yes but MCEbuddy doesn't take the title fro TVDB or TV.com, just from IMDB (as the setting says), this is just because IMDB (when it has the information) is the most accurate source of data. Can put an option in there to take Title from TVDB, put in a issue for a new request and we'll look into it.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:40 AM
rboy1 wrote:
Fixed with the new 2.4.4 BETA build. Now the metadata in an external file (XML/NFO/ARG etc) will take precedence over metadata extracting from within the file. This will allow for users to override incorrect metadata.
This option doesn't seem to be working for me, maybe I'm missing an assumption (or two). The NFO file has the same filename as the WTV file but the tag values within NFO are totally different from any metadata embedded in WTV file. The guide data was wrong due to schedule changes of the sporting event. I'm using build 2.4.4.1, 64 bit.
Coordinator
Jun 6, 2016 at 4:57 AM
Where's your log?

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2016 at 4:58 AM
The fix is in 2.4.5 and not 2.4.4. Sorry typo

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:22 AM
Yes, it worked fine with 2.4.5. Thanks.
Jun 20, 2016 at 7:20 AM
Edited Jun 20, 2016 at 7:42 AM
I am using the latest developer version of MCEBuddy 2.4.5 from 6/18/2016. I am having a slightly different issue where the Season and Episode information is not on thetvdb.com or imdb.com for certain shows. The Season and Episode information is available from the plot description of the .wtv file when looking at the MCE conversion log (two samples below).

Since the season and episode information is not expected to be in the plot description, MCEBuddy assigns the season and episode to 0 . I am using a Ceton tuner with Windows 7 64bit Ultimate, Media Center to record wtv files and the guide information is populated by EPG123 with zap2it guide results from SchedulesDirect.

Is there anyway we can add this type of season/episode matching? These episodes with no season or episode results get saved incorrectly in the Season 00 folder with SE - Title.mkv as the filename. This forces me to manually update the metadata and filenames. Thanks!

Here are links to my full log of two conversions:
No TVDB/IMDB Data, WTV has season/episode information in the plot description from guide: http://pastebin.com/xNV3FY2Y
TVDB data available, WTV has season/episode information in the plot description from guide: http://pastebin.com/KNLfEkVz
Highlighting the following:

2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Launching process C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\ffmpeg\ffprobe.exe
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Process arguments -hide_banner -probesize 100M -analyzeduration 300M -i "Z:\Recorded TV\The Hunt With John Walsh_CNNHD_2016_06_19_21_00_03.wtv"
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> UI Session Admin Process : False
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Setting process priority to Normal
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> [mpeg2video @ 00000000004fe2e0] Invalid frame dimensions 0x0.
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Last message repeated 16 times
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> [wtv @ 0000000000495e60] Stream #3: not enough frames to estimate rate; consider increasing probesize
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Input #0, wtv, from 'Z:\Recorded TV\The Hunt With John Walsh_CNNHD_2016_06_19_21_00_03.wtv':
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Metadata:
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaClassPrimaryID: db9830bd-3ab3-4fab-8a371a995f7ff74
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaClassSecondaryID: ba7f258a-62f7-47a9-b21f4651c42a000
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Title : The Hunt With John Walsh
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/SubTitle : Confessions of a Killer
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/SubTitleDescription: Tammy Esquivel's boyfriend, William Joseph Greer, allegedly murders her with his two young sons listening from their bedroom.
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> :
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> : Season 03, Episode 02

2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> genre : Documentary;Crime;Series
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/OriginalReleaseTime: 0
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaCredits : ;;John Walsh;
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> service_provider: CNNHD
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> service_name : CNN HD
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaOriginalChannel: 600
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaOriginalChannelSubNumber: 0
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaOriginalBroadcastDateTime: 2016-06-19T04:00:00Z
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaOriginalRunTime: 37149215979
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaIsStereo: false
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaIsRepeat: false
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaIsLive : false
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaIsTape : false
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaIsDelay : false
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaIsSubtitled: false
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaIsMovie : false
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaIsPremiere: false
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaIsFinale: false
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaIsSAP : false
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/MediaIsSport : false
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/Provider : MediaCenterDefault
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/VideoClosedCaptioning: false
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVEncodeTime: 2016-06-20 01:00:05
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVSeriesUID: !Series!01942023
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVServiceID: !Service!EPG123_58646
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVProgramID: !Program!EP01942023_0028
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVRequestID: 0
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVScheduleItemID: 0
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVQuality : 3
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVOriginalSoftPrePadding: 420
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVOriginalSoftPostPadding: 120
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVHardPrePadding: 4294966996
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVHardPostPadding: 0
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVATSCContent: true
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVDTVContent: true
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVHDContent: true
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Duration : 35958940912
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVEndTime : 2016-06-20 02:00:00
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVBitrate : 12.334836
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVKeepUntil: 0
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVActualSoftPrePadding: 294
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVActualSoftPostPadding: 0
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVContentProtected: false
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVContentProtectedPercent: 0
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVExpirationSpan: 9223372036854775807
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVInBandRatingSystem: 255
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVInBandRatingLevel: 255
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVInBandRatingAttributes: 0
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/WMRVWatched : false
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Duration: 00:59:54.76, start: 1.483133, bitrate: 12338 kb/s
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Stream #0:00xd: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 448 kb/s
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Stream #0:1[0xe]: Video: mpeg2video (Main), yuv420p(tv), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], Closed Captions, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 10000k tbn, 59.94 tbc
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Stream #0:2[0xf]: Subtitle: eia_608
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Stream #0:3[0xffffffff]: Video: mjpeg, yuvj420p(pc, bt470bg/unknown/unknown), 200x113 [SAR 96:96 DAR 200:113], 90k tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Metadata:
2016-06-20T01:46:58 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> title : TV Thumbnail
--> Process exited with code 0
INFORMATION> 2016-06-20T01:47:00 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Running custom commands
2016-06-20T01:47:00 MCEBuddy.Transcode.CustomCommand --> Custom command parameters read ->
PreMetaCustomCommandPath =
PreMetaCustomCommandParameters =
PreMetaCustomCommandHangPeriod = 300
PreMetaCustomCommandCritical = False
PreMetaCustomCommandUISession = False
PreMetaCustomCommandShowWindow = True
PreMetaCustomCommandExitCodeCheck = False
INFORMATION> 2016-06-20T01:47:00 MCEBuddy.Transcode.CustomCommand --> No custom commands found
2016-06-20T01:47:00 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Finished pre metadata custom command, source file size [KB] 5,414,400.00
INFORMATION> 2016-06-20T01:47:00 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Getting show information and banner from Internet sources
2016-06-20T01:47:00 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Extracting metadata from file -> Z:\Recorded TV\The Hunt With John Walsh_CNNHD_2016_06_19_21_00_03.wtv
INFORMATION> 2016-06-20T01:47:00 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Extracting MCE Tags
2016-06-20T01:47:00 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Extracting Windows Media Center metadata
2016-06-20T01:47:00 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Video Tags extracted ->
Title: The Hunt With John Walsh
SubTitle: Confessions of a Killer
Description: Tammy Esquivel's boyfriend, William Joseph Greer, allegedly murders her with his two young sons listening from their bedroom.

Season 03, Episode 02

Network: CNN HD
Network Affiliate:
Parental Rating:
Media Credits: ;;John Walsh;
Genres: Documentary,Crime,Series
Season: 0
Episode: 0

Banner: C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\cache\The Hunt With John Walsh-extract.jpg
Banner URL:
IMDB Id:
MovieDB Id:
TVDB Id:
Is Show Movie: False
Is Show Sports: False
OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 2016-06-19T00:00:00
RecordedDateTime: 2016-06-20T01:00:05
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2016 at 1:30 PM
Can you upload a sample WTV file to the MCEBuddy server for analysis

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:59 PM
rboy1 wrote:
sure. I will make sure to do that tonight. thanks!
Jun 21, 2016 at 7:03 AM
Edited Jun 21, 2016 at 2:31 PM
rboy1 wrote:
I have uploaded 2 wtv files and logs to the /UPLOAD/Discussions - 640539/ folder.

Season and Episode information was available for these recordings through theTVDB/IMDB internet lookup functionality. However, you can see that Season = 0 and Episode = 0 when MCEBuddy parses the WTV file. The Plot Description field has season and episode information if the title is a series.

I would like MCEBuddy to attempt to capture the Season and Episode information from the WTV Plot Description field. If the TVDB/IMDB lookup fails later on, the WTV file will have the season/episode information from zap2it/schedulesdirect

Please let me know if you need any other information that I can provide. thanks!
Jun 27, 2016 at 6:52 AM
rboy1 wrote:
any update on this? thank you!
Coordinator
Jun 27, 2016 at 11:05 PM
Josh this will take some time, will come back to you

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:47 PM
rboy1 wrote:
Josh this will take some time, will come back to you
no worries! Thank you, rboy1 for all the support!

Please let me know how I can help.

This change will help any epg123 guide user - Most Media Center users are switching over to so that we get more accurate guide data from schedules direct!

Thanks again!
Coordinator
Jul 26, 2016 at 7:34 PM
done, use today's 2.4.5 BETA version.

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:24 PM
thank you for adding this, rboy1 !!!!!
Sep 19, 2016 at 11:50 PM
Hi,

I'm curious how exactly MCEbuddy determines or guesses a recording is a show or movie.
I have a number of .TS files i have downloaded from a local TV provider. They have no metadata, however this is available on thetvdb.com.

I have name the files "showname SxxExx.ts".

Unfortunately mcebuddy thinks they are movies, so looks on themoviedb.com but never seems to check thetvdb.com. Is there a way i can change the filename format or some other way to force it to check thetvdb.com?

Example log uploaded to ftp://earlyaccess.mcebuddy2x.com/UPLOAD/Griffo/Frisky%20Business%20S02E03.ts-Convert%20to%20MP4-2016-09-20T00-32-48.1973249+10-00.log

Cheers
Coordinator
Sep 20, 2016 at 12:08 AM
If you look at your logs you'll see this:
INFORMATION> 2016-09-20T00:32:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.FileExtractMetadata --> Extracting NFO Tags
2016-09-20T00:32:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.FileExtractMetadata --> Extracting XMBC metadata
2016-09-20T00:32:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.FileExtractMetadata --> Successfully extracted XBMC XML Movie metadata

Oddly it's your metadata telling MCEbuddy it's a movie. Do you have your NFO files?

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:39 PM
I'm struggling with this issue right now. I've never gotten MCEBuddy to play nicely with .Tivo files, so I've been passing it decrypted files via KMTTG.

With respect to the naming convention of the original airdate (from the above):
a. SHOWNAME_AIRDATE_AIRTIME.<ext> where AIRDATE is in YYYYMMDD format and AIRTIME is in HHMMHHMM (Start and End) format (AIRTIME is optional)
Will MCEBuddy account for YYYY-MM-DD or will the dashes throw it off?

Many thanks! Will.
Sep 21, 2016 at 1:19 AM
rboy1 wrote:
If you look at your logs you'll see this: INFORMATION> 2016-09-20T00:32:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.FileExtractMetadata --> Extracting NFO Tags 2016-09-20T00:32:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.FileExtractMetadata --> Extracting XMBC metadata 2016-09-20T00:32:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.FileExtractMetadata --> Successfully extracted XBMC XML Movie metadata Oddly it's your metadata telling MCEbuddy it's a movie. Do you have your NFO files?
Thanks yet again for your help. Discovered that EMBY's version of "do not update metadata" results in a generic .nfo file being created anyway. The joys of having multiple programs sharing libraries :-)
Coordinator
Sep 21, 2016 at 2:09 AM
Throw it off, it's designed to look for specifics patterns.

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2016 at 2:15 AM
If you have your NFO files do share them, we'll put some more "sanity" check like you can't have season/episode no AND be called a movie :)

Jan 1 at 4:45 AM
Hi

I've been using MCEBuddy for ages. Am on early release program. Absolutely love it. Thanks!

I've recently changed from using NPVR on my Win10 machine to using a Raspberry Pi with TVHeadend installed through Libreelec. It's fantastic. Only issue is that MCEBuddy is not recognising the metadata from the MKV that TVHeadend creates.

MCEBuddy is able to extract it, but it does not then take those bits of information and use it.

Here is one example from the MCEBuddy logs:
INFORMATION> 2017-01-01T15:15:07 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Current System language is English (Australia) (eng)
INFORMATION> 2017-01-01T15:15:07 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Converting file -> \LIBREELEC\SeagateHDD\RecordedTV\Movie_ Night At The Museum_2016-12-31_07-30.mkv
--> Dumping complete information about the file \LIBREELEC\SeagateHDD\RecordedTV\Movie_ Night At The Museum_2016-12-31_07-30.mkv
2017-01-01T15:15:07 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Launching process C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\ffmpeg\ffprobe.exe
2017-01-01T15:15:07 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Process arguments -hide_banner -probesize 100M -analyzeduration 300M -i "\LIBREELEC\SeagateHDD\RecordedTV\Movie_ Night At The Museum_2016-12-31_07-30.mkv"
2017-01-01T15:15:07 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> UI Session Admin Process : False
2017-01-01T15:15:09 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Setting process priority to Normal
2017-01-01T15:15:09 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Input #0, matroska,webm, from '\LIBREELEC\SeagateHDD\RecordedTV\Movie_ Night At The Museum_2016-12-31_07-30.mkv':
2017-01-01T15:15:09 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Metadata:
2017-01-01T15:15:09 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> title : Movie: Night At The Museum
2017-01-01T15:15:09 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> encoder : Tvheadend Matroska muxer
2017-01-01T15:15:09 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> DATE_BROADCASTED: 2016-12-31 07:30:15
2017-01-01T15:15:09 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> ORIGINAL_MEDIA_TYPE: TV
2017-01-01T15:15:09 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> TVCHANNEL : ELEVEN
2017-01-01T15:15:09 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> SUMMARY : When Larry accepts a night-shift position as a security guard at the infamous Museum of Natural History in New York, he gets more than he bargained for.
2017-01-01T15:15:09 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> SUMMARY-eng : When Larry accepts a night-shift position as a security guard at the infamous Museum of Natural History in New York, he gets more than he bargained for.
2017-01-01T15:15:09 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Duration: 02:14:27.76, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2985 kb/s
2017-01-01T15:15:09 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Stream #0:0(eng): Video: mpeg2video (Main), yuv420p(tv), 720x576 [SAR 64:45 DAR 16:9], 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 50 tbc (default)
2017-01-01T15:15:09 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16p, 192 kb/s (default)
2017-01-01T15:15:09 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Stream #0:2(eng): Subtitle: subrip (default)
INFORMATION> 2017-01-01T15:15:11 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Running custom commands
2017-01-01T15:15:11 MCEBuddy.Transcode.CustomCommand --> Custom command parameters read ->
PreMetaCustomCommandPath =
PreMetaCustomCommandParameters =
PreMetaCustomCommandHangPeriod = 300
PreMetaCustomCommandCritical = False
PreMetaCustomCommandUISession = False
PreMetaCustomCommandShowWindow = True
PreMetaCustomCommandExitCodeCheck = False
INFORMATION> 2017-01-01T15:15:11 MCEBuddy.Transcode.CustomCommand --> No custom commands found
2017-01-01T15:15:11 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Finished pre metadata custom command, source file size [KB] 2,940,702.00
INFORMATION> 2017-01-01T15:15:11 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Getting show information and banner from Internet sources
2017-01-01T15:15:11 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Extracting metadata from file -> \LIBREELEC\SeagateHDD\RecordedTV\Movie_ Night At The Museum_2016-12-31_07-30.mkv
INFORMATION> 2017-01-01T15:15:11 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Extracting Generic Tags
WARNING> 2017-01-01T15:15:11 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Error reading Artwork -> System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData.ExtractGenericTags()
INFORMATION> 2017-01-01T15:15:11 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Read Tags: MKV file detected using Matroska
WARNING> 2017-01-01T15:15:11 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Unable to extract meta data from file \LIBREELEC\SeagateHDD\RecordedTV\Movie_ Night At The Museum_2016-12-31_07-30.mkv. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
2017-01-01T15:15:11 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Video Tags extracted ->
Title:
SubTitle:
Description:
Network:
Network Affiliate:
Parental Rating:
Media Credits:
Genres:
Season: 0
Episode: 0
Banner:
Banner URL:
IMDB Id:
MovieDB Id:
TVDB Id:
Is Show Movie: False
Is Show Sports: False
OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 1900-01-01T11:00:00
RecordedDateTime: 1900-01-01T11:00:00
SeriesPremiereDate: 1900-01-01T11:00:00
CopyProtected: False
SageTV FileID:
SageTV MediaFileID:

Here is another:
--> .NET Framework Version -> 4.0, Service Pack -> 0
INFORMATION> 2016-12-30T01:57:46 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Current System language is English (Australia) (eng)
INFORMATION> 2016-12-30T01:57:46 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Converting file -> \LIBREELEC\SeagateHDD\RecordedTV\Blue Bloods_2016-12-29_12-40.mkv
--> Dumping complete information about the file \LIBREELEC\SeagateHDD\RecordedTV\Blue Bloods_2016-12-29_12-40.mkv
2016-12-30T01:57:46 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Launching process C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\ffmpeg\ffprobe.exe
2016-12-30T01:57:46 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Process arguments -hide_banner -probesize 100M -analyzeduration 300M -i "\LIBREELEC\SeagateHDD\RecordedTV\Blue Bloods_2016-12-29_12-40.mkv"
2016-12-30T01:57:46 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> UI Session Admin Process : False
2016-12-30T01:57:46 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Setting process priority to Normal
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> [h264 @ 000001496adb4320] reference picture missing during reorder
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> [h264 @ 000001496adb4320] Missing reference picture, default is 65580
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> [h264 @ 000001496adb4320] reference picture missing during reorder
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> [h264 @ 000001496adb4320] Missing reference picture, default is 65581
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> [h264 @ 000001496adb4320] Increasing reorder buffer to 2
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> [h264 @ 000001496adb4320] Missing reference picture, default is 65588
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Input #0, matroska,webm, from '\LIBREELEC\SeagateHDD\RecordedTV\Blue Bloods_2016-12-29_12-40.mkv':
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Metadata:
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> title : Blue Bloods
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> encoder : Tvheadend Matroska muxer
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> DATE_BROADCASTED: 2016-12-29 12:40:01
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> ORIGINAL_MEDIA_TYPE: TV
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> TVCHANNEL : TEN HD
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> SUMMARY : The Reagans are eager to prove Danny's innocence when a bag of cocaine is found in his car trunk and he is taken into police custody.
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> SUMMARY-eng : The Reagans are eager to prove Danny's innocence when a bag of cocaine is found in his car trunk and he is taken into police custody.
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> COMMENT : Auto recording: Created from Blue Bloods
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> COMMENT-eng : Auto recording: Created from Blue Bloods
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Duration: 01:00:28.20, start: 0.031000, bitrate: 5559 kb/s
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 50 tbc (default)
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 448 kb/s (default)
2016-12-30T01:57:47 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Stream #0:2(eng): Subtitle: subrip (default)

As you can see, the data is in the file, MCEBuddy is just not picking it up.

Any advice you can give would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Matt
Jan 3 at 4:42 AM
Matt,

What tuner are you using with the RPi and LibreElec? I've got a similar setup using TVHeadend with a HDHomerun Connect tuner but I'm recording to a .TS file (no meta data saved inside). Does saving as an MKV keep it uncompressed (like TS) but encapsulated in MKV? I'd be interested in the solution you're asking for because I am having a very hard time with MCEBuddy recognizing the shows as well, especially movies. It can't tell the difference.
  • Tim