This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

.mpg files

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:48 PM
I am a little confused about .mpg files. I have tried looking on Google and this forum but I don't see an exact answer to my question.

I have some recorded tv files that are output as .mpg files. Video info shows them to be mpeg-ts files. Does this mean they are essentially .ts files like I used to get from NPVR? I am testing the new HDHomerun DVR program and the recordings are as stated above.

I looked in MCEBuddy but I don't see .mpg related conversion tasks. With NPVR files I always used .ts unprocessed because I only care about removing the commercials, not converting the file to some other format. Would using this for the .mpg files be the same thing and work fine or is there another one that Iam missing?
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2015 at 8:00 PM
MPG is a container format. TS is also a container format and so is MP4 and AVI

Video codecs are mpeg2 or mpeg4 or h.264 commonly.

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:15 PM
Thanks for your response. So does this mean MCEBuddy doesn't have a profile for .mpg files? I don't see anything in the dropdown window and is the reason I am asking.

Will just changing the container, say using .ts unprocessed, work just fine?
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2015 at 10:03 PM
You write a custom profile. Should work if you just change the extension with the MP4 unprocessed profile.

The TS unprocessed uses the copy encoder which may not work as the input is a TS file and it just copies it to the output directory.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 10/15/2015 at 2:48 AM