This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Min Age before conversion, it's based on what?

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:08 AM
So, I have npvr recording a bunch of antenna channels. Say npvr puts them into directory A. So, mcebuddy monitors A, so, I have the following questions:
  1. Well, a file will be created in A as the recording is being recorded, so, if I set say min age to 1 hour, and, the show is two hours, does that mean one hour into the show, mcebuddy will start converting it, i.e., before it is done recording? Or, is it based on the latest datetime of the file? Or something else?
  2. I wish if the above is based on latest timestamp, that I could do minutes instead of hours. i.e., 10 minutes after it is done, process it.
The idea here is to get processing as quickly as possible. My conversions mostly just remove commercials so are pretty fast. I know I can do extra work by creating more directories and scripts to move stuff around based on when it is ready (I have a directory for each network), but, would greatly prefer to simply take the easy route if possible and use mcebuddy options.
Jul 15, 2015 at 1:32 AM
Couple of things to note:

1. MCEBuddy will not try to process the file as long as it locked and it does NOT have read access. So if nPVR is writing to the file and doesn't provide read access, MCEbuddy will ignore it until it has read access. Once it has read access it will start processing it.
The min age is specifically for program which in their infinite wisdom provide read access while writing to the file. This causes MCEBuddy to get confused.

So unless your recording software provides read access while writing to it you don't need this parameter.

2. If you recording software does provide read access while writing then this parameter refers to how much time MCEBuddy will wait since the LAST MODIFIED timestamp. Ie. once the writing is complete, from that point it will calculate the number of hours, wait that long and then start processing.

There is no way for MCEBuddy to currently know when the file write is complete so it can only keep checking every few minutes. however this is a feature we are working on for future releases to be notified by the filesystem when a file is created and writing is complete. the issue is that this may not work on network drives, so we're still trying to find a reliable way to handle this.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 10/15/2015 at 2:41 AM
Jul 15, 2015 at 3:28 AM
I can indeed play an in process recording via VLC, therefore, must have read access. Actually, read access makes sense as it's more like many Satellite and other DVRs which allow playback while recording. Of course, this is not good when using mcebuddy. So, if it's based on LAST MODIFIED, then, 1 hour may be needed. Looking at the All Star game in progress, it shows the last modified time as 16 minutes ago. So, it must buffer to some degree. Makes me wonder what the longest time it might go between updating the output file.
Jul 15, 2015 at 3:51 AM
Aha, watching it live I see.... It's not nextpvr, it must be Windows 8.1. I watch as the filesize continually increases as data is being recorded, however, the date modified (not the DATE column in explorer, the date modified) does not change! It seems to change when a file is closed, and, rarely otherwise. On NTFS. Not a Windows guy, but, strange. I see lots of posts in various other forums dealing with date modified issues. Most people likely do not care. However, if mcebuddy is using date modified, then, it's not reliable for my purposes.

The way mcebuddy can known is by watching the filesize. When it changes, obviously, recording is not done. No?
Jul 15, 2015 at 5:55 AM
It wouldn't be practical to watch file size for thousands of files. But I see what you're saying. The time elapsed should be taken from file creation time. That way you can estimate the time taken for recording and delay required.

Makes sense?