This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

how to enable nvenc

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:53 PM
To rboy1,

I have a modification to mcebuddy that enables nvenc. Can I share it? Where should I post my modded files? thank you

from,
Andrew
Coordinator
Jul 27, 2015 at 4:38 PM
That's great Andrew. Please upload your code to the mcebuddy server for us to review it.

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:25 PM
To rboy1,

All I did was cross compile ffmpeg using the script below. I said yes to everything. I then went into my profiles.conf and changed vcodec to nvenc. I have multiple versions compiled for both old and new drivers and for 32 and 64 bit. I am unable to test the version for new drivers as the latest nvidia drivers are kind of buggy. I will upload the files to the root directory of the server once I am done writing this post.

script url: https://github.com/rdp/ffmpeg-windows-build-helpers

from,
Andrew
Jul 27, 2015 at 7:29 PM
sorry it is in the uploads folder
Coordinator
Jul 27, 2015 at 10:32 PM
We already have a build with nvenc and qsv enabled. We are in need if an nvenc enabled machine I test it

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:42 AM
To rboy1

I would be happy to test it but not until tomorrow. It is getting kind of late here. Please keep in mind that I am using an older driver and it is not compatible with a lot of the newer ffmpeg builds. The latest drivers are very buggy. I will look for it on your server in the morning. Please tell me the directory where it will be.

from,
Andrew
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2015 at 2:49 AM
ffmpeg nvenc test build

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:46 AM
To rboy1,

Congratulations, it works. However, It does require the latest drivers. I am uploading my files/log as soon as I am done with this post. thanks

from,
Andrew
Coordinator
Nov 22, 2015 at 6:23 PM
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 11/22/2015 at 11:23 AM
Nov 22, 2015 at 7:55 PM
Thanks very much, however I would recommend updating your ffmpeg build at least every 1 to 2 months. This is because the nvidia drivers are constantly changing and older nvenc builds may not work as well with newer drivers
Coordinator
Nov 22, 2015 at 9:00 PM
Hmm, I hear what you say. We'll have to figure this out. It taken hundreds of hours to test each build of ffmpeg and ffmpeg is notorious for breaking things with new *fixes* all the time. Hence the reluctance but that causes another issue, what about newer builds with older drivers?
LEts start with the build we have on the server and would like feedback on how it works from a nvenc perspective, we can test the rest.

Still have an issue of how to detect if the drivers support nvenc so it can automated instead of a manual process.