This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

copy protected files

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:18 PM
I recently had to switch using a cable box instead of a cable directly to the computer. My windows media center records and play back fine. My mce buddy no longer works . I paid the 15 dollars and updated to 2.4 version. Old files still work but anything that windows media center recorded after I started using cox"s mini box mce says are all copy protected. I been taping channels that are not not premium channels so they should not be copy protected. Any suggestions.

I would use this program to eliminate commercials and send to my ipod. Thanks
Sep 11, 2015 at 4:37 PM
If it's *truely* copy protected then there's nothing that can be done (legally).
If it's accidentally marked copy protected then you can ask MCEBuddy to ignore the copy protection flag in the Conversion Task Expert Settings page and process it. However if it's copy protected the output will be garbled.

As for why it's copy protected for FTA or non premium channels it's a discussion between you and your service provider. I know with Comcast some of the users including myself have had luck getting them to stop copy protecting the channels which aren't premium and required by law to be digital but not protected. Search the forum for examples of how folks did it.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 9/14/2015 at 2:49 PM
Sep 14, 2015 at 10:50 PM
See this thread for details on how folks have got cable companies to stop encryption

https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/584489