This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

MCEBuddy service keeps stopping

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:19 AM
I noticed that the service wasn't running. I started it up again and it started processing files. It completed fast remuxing and then the service stops again.

Windows Event Log reports this error:

Faulting application name: MCEBuddy.Service.exe, version: 2.4.3.0, time stamp: 0x565f5a32
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18007, time stamp: 0x55c4c16b
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f1280
Faulting process id: 0xaa0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d130a53f38aa00
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\MCEBuddy.Service.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: dd762f87-9c98-11e5-8294-00241ddcdccf
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I've done a complete uninstall and reinstall with same results. When this first started I was running 2.4.2. Like I said earlier I removed everything and reinstalled with same results. Removed everything and installed 2.4.3 with same results with that build.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dec 7, 2015 at 4:45 AM
You've got a failing hard disk. See the forum an issues for details. This is a lead indicator. MCeBuddy service cannot crash, it is protected the only reason is a corrupted install or failing disk

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:03 AM

I’ve also seen this in other hardware components like a Bluetooth card that was going bad.

You should some other indication of failures by inspecting the Event Log, there are mostly likely other errors occurring that you have not noticed.

Tom

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:27 PM
The hard drive is an SSD which I just installed a little over a year ago. Not to say that it could be going bad, I'm just not seeing any other errors.

I started MCEBuddy engine again and checked the System log and the only error that pops up pertains to MCEBuddy service engine. I checked the Application log and outside of the MCEBuddy error I posted earlier this error popped up as well:

Application: MCEBuddy.Service.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
Stack:
at MCEBuddy.Util.MediaInfoDll.MediaInfo_Open64(IntPtr, System.String)
at MCEBuddy.Util.MediaInfoDll.MediaInfo_Open64(IntPtr, System.String)
at MCEBuddy.Util.MediaInfoDll.Open(System.String)
at MCEBuddy.Util.VideoParams.AudioFormat(System.String)
at MCEBuddy.VideoProperties.VideoInfo.UpdateVideoInfo(Boolean, Boolean, System.String, System.String, System.String, System.String, MCEBuddy.Globals.JobStatus, MCEBuddy.Util.Log)
at MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob.Convert()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I reinstalled/repaired .NET Framework 4.5.2, rebooted, and same problem.
Dec 7, 2015 at 3:04 PM
Please see the issues section where others had similar issues. Your symptoms are identical. I can't think if any other reason.
The service is protected and cannot crash spontaneously. If mcebuddy is causing a fault there will be an error logged in mcebuddy.log. (Again the service is protected so a crash will be graceful). If there is no error in mcebuddy.log then it's either an antivirus terminating it or a corrupted disk or installation.
The error stack below is telling you which file is corrupted or inaccessible

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:04 PM
Forgive me for being obtuse, but I'm not finding similarities in the issues section. That's why I started this thread seeking help. MCEbuddy log did have an error which I corrected. That error pertained to accessing the destination of the converted file. The destination is a network share. I set credentials, but the error log said the account was being used more than once to access that share, error 1219 if I remember correctly. So I changed the task to use the guest account and that removed the error out of the log. Now there aren't any errors in MCEBuddy log file.

MCEBuddy is running on Windows 8.1 using built-in antivirus. I ran chkdsk but no disk errors were found. There aren't any errors on startup in event logs except that MCEBuddy service stopped and started 3 times.

How could I rule out that its not a hardware issue?
Dec 7, 2015 at 9:55 PM
Install it On a different machine and see if you can replicate the issue.

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:52 PM
Installed on a different machine, Windows 10 this time as every other PC I have is Windows 10 now, and almost same results.

I recreated my tasks and started the jobs. It completed two recordings, but now the service keeps dying during conversion.

Here is the error message in Windows Log

Faulting application name: MCEBuddy.Service.exe, version: 2.4.3.0, time stamp: 0x565f5a32
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d193
Fault offset: 0x00000000000edfac
Faulting process id: 0x27c0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d131c21af3744d
Report Id: 56d051cf-0c3d-447b-938b-f330b6decf37

This is just a default install of Windows 10 without any additional antivirus software
Dec 9, 2015 at 3:18 AM
I'm actually lost and have no idea, we've got 7 machines running MCEbuddy from Windows XP to Window 10 and don't ever see any issue. Every other person who reported this issue resolved it by changing their hard disk.

I keep coming back to your fault log
Dec 9, 2015 at 3:22 AM
Here's a great examples of where a third party app was causing ntdll.dll to crash for a different program which is what I suspect is happening with your case. However you'll have figure out what's the root case of ntdll.dll to crash, what's common between your machines (which software or like I said start with a clean install and work your way up until you find the software responsible for the crash). Sorry, microsoft is just a weird OS which does funky things:

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:44 AM
I checked MCEBuddy log file and did find some errors

ERROR> --> Unable to connect to network location \HTPC\Recorded TV
Domain name:
Username:MediaCenter
Password:********
Return code is 53
The network path was not found
2015-12-08T07:31:38 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Attempting to connect to network share \SCALES\Media\Recorded TV\Shows
ERROR> --> Unable to connect to network location \Storage\Media\Recorded TV\Shows

When I did the second test I did it on my laptop connecting wirelessly back to the PC where my recordings are stored.

HTPC - is where the recordings are stored
Storage - is the final destination where recordings are saved. (This is just an external hard drive connected to my router through a USB 3 port).

I can browse to those locations just fine from my laptop so I'm not certain why MCEBuddy cannot access them. I provided credentials for the tasks to run under as well.

HTPC is a dedicated computer just for Windows Media Center. I have a HDHomeRun and Ceton InifiniTV card installed and that's about it.

Thanks for helping. I'll keep plugging away at this.
Dec 9, 2015 at 12:11 PM
Please see the common issues FAQ's, MCEBuddy runs in Session 0 (Windows Service) and User Session. User session credentials/accesses are not available in Session 0. Session 0 is unable to access these shares. Could be a DNS issue, try rebooting the machine also.

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:23 PM
Not following you on not being able to access share over the network. Looking at this thread, I thought it was possible
https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/543007
Dec 9, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:21 PM
So here is the latest

I copied a WTV file from the HTPC to a different PC, my laptop running Windows 10 and changed monitor location and tasks to point local to eliminate network permissions. I also removed any additional tasks to only have one. The task runs and performs fast remuxing, but then the service dies after that. The conversion and MCEBuddy log do not have any errors. The only error that appears is in the Windows Application event log.

This is the error
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.10586.20, time stamp: 0x56540c3b
Fault offset: 0x00000000000ee00c
Faulting process id: 0x2e10
Faulting application start time: 0x01d132d5b283dfed
Report Id: e7bd98c0-dbda-4cab-ab33-5ce93608c61b

This is running on a pretty vanilla Windows 10 build. I really don't know what is happening here. I rebuilt my HTPC which runs Windows 8.1 back in September and all had been good with MCEBudddy except for these recent events.
Dec 10, 2015 at 12:14 AM
Well here is another update which I think the problem is resolved.

The one constant in all this has been the media center recording, its always been trying to convert the same one. I moved that recording to a different location outside the monitored locations and the other recordings I copied to my laptop are converting without issue.

I'm going to remove that "bad" recording from my HTPC and try again. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Dec 10, 2015 at 1:03 AM
That "bad" recording was sitting on a bad sector causing Windows to bug out and crash MCEBuddy in the process. just my 2 cents based on past behavior we've seen with other users.

Try copying it to another hard disk (not partition, another physical disk) or usb stick and then try it, I'm almost certain it'll convert.

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:49 AM
That's the thing I installed MCEBuddy onto my laptop and then copied the recording local to my laptop's hard drive. It failed there also and it failed on my HTPC.

Back on my HTPC I ran chkdsk along with a Crucial diagnostic scanner, the drive is a Crucial SSD drive, and it checked out healthy.