This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Encoding failing on TV shows from CW network

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:25 AM
This is odd, and I can't seem to type the search parameters the right way to find a similar problem discussed, thus this new discussion.

For the last two months or so, any show recorded by Windows Media Center 8.1, when compressed using MKV, results in a silent video of three pulsing gray/white dots in the center of the screen -- if that show was recorded from the CW network (e.g. The Flash). Whatever video is generated is the same length as the original recording, but all I get are the three blinking dots. Anyone else seen this? Is it a rights issue with that particular channel and Comcast?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Dec 13, 2015 at 2:56 AM
The channel is copy protected

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:07 AM
I couldn't record The CW shows with PlayOn until I disabled ad blocking hosts file. Though, I was getting a clear message that it was caused by running an ad blocker. If you're running an ad blocker, I'd try disabling them and see if that helps.
Jan 24, 2016 at 2:56 PM
Turns out that Comcast in our area has an obscure HD channel, numbered 1019 (or something like that), on which they broadcast CW shows, and it shows up in the guide for WMC. Unfortunately, it is a subscription-only channel, and when you tune to it, you see the pulsing dots. So, WMC was dutifully fulfilling my record requests using that channel, since the guide indicated my shows of interest were available. The solution was to change the WMC record settings for the shows from 'HD Preferred' to 'HD Channel xxx Only'. Go figure. Thanks to my wife for noticing it while channel surfing one day.