This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Handbrake Random Hangs

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:05 PM
About one out of every 15 or so conversions hangs Handbrake. When I have a hung file, I will attempt to reprocess and it will always hang but not necessarily in the same spot (sometimes it will hang sooner, sometimes later in the conversion). If I switch from the standard Convert to MP4 (w/Comskip) to a conversion without comskip, the process completes successfully.

Log File: http://m.uploadedit.com/ba3n/1450536165933.txt

Setup - OTA recording via HDHomeRun Connect into WMC. MCEBuddy 2.4.2, latest donator version of Comskip. Computer is a Lenovo Think Server TS-140 (w/8GB of ECC memory)

Is there an option I am overlooking that would resolve this issue? I searched the forums but didn't come across anyone else mentioning a similar situation.

Is it possible to have MCEBuddy cancel a conversion after a set period of time? If so, could I have MCEBuddy requeue a file using a different profile (ie try converting w/comskip but if it fails after an hour, just do a straight MP4/H.264 encoding without comskip)?

Thanks for any help on this ... everything has been running great except for these occasional hangups during encoding.
Coordinator
Dec 19, 2015 at 2:59 PM
This has been answered in the hardware encoding FAQ. It hangs because you have an unstable Intel driver and you're using hardware encoding. Use one of the recommended intel driver versions and also update to the latest 2.4.3 beta. It has a timeout for detecting hung conversions (about 30 minutes) and then falls back to software encoding.

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:35 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I did have the Intel drivers as referenced on the FAQ but still had the occasional hang (sorry for not putting in my original post). I'll give the 2.4.3 beta a go .. the timeout feature for hung conversions sounds like it is a nice compromise for those occasional hardware encoding hangups.