This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Using the nVidia Tesla graphic accelerator card

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:51 PM
i have several used i5 class computers I'm using to convert my large library. i've installed varies graphic cards i had laying around. i've found the Tesla graphic accelerator cards. i've seen used c2090 series for a decent price. is there any reason these wouldn't work with MCEBuddy? it would seem to me these cards would be faster than a traditional graphics card.

Another question. If the source video is on a central server. And i know MCEBuddy uses a local temp folder. so is MCEBuddy converting across network? Or does it move the file locally then convert? Then move to the destination folder?

Do you have or have you thought about having a discussion with user experience with varies graphic card make and model? i would think it might be of some use to people that building out a system.
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2016 at 7:23 PM
The graphics driver will determine the speed and efficiency. As long as the driver supports nvenc it should work.
There is a sticky thread on graphics comparison you can check it out

Mcebuddy works in various configuration from copying to remuxing to working on the original file depending upon how you configure it. By default it will remux the file and work on it. Not on the original

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:13 PM
Maybe a clearer question. if i point mcebuddy to a folder on a network drive to convert. Does it copy to local media file to local temp folder, convert, then move to destination? what i'm wanting to know. does it make since for my script to copy files from network share to a local folder, then have mcebuddy process from that folder and not the network share? my script would be moving the files on and off the slave computer. Thanks.
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2016 at 8:58 PM
To better answer the question you should take a look at the process it follows on the documentation page.
It depends upon the file type.

e.g. with WTV files it would remux the files to the temp folder and then work on it. For TS files it would copy it.
You can disable these options through the expert settings but I would advise against it.

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:34 PM
sorry it took me so long to reply. the c2090 will not work with nvenc. the c2090 is based on fermi and kepler and newer is required for h264, and 2nd gen maxwell (gtx 9xx) for h265. My recommendation is to wait a few more months for pascal to be released. it should be out soon.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 3/14/2016 at 7:23 AM