This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Total Newb here, don't think HW acceleration is working

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:14 AM
Edited Mar 9, 2016 at 1:46 AM
Hi. I have the latest donation version of MCEBuddy. Running it on Win7 with an i5-2500k, and a Nvidia GTX 960. I'm converting WMC TV recordings to basic MP4 files, one pass. HW acceleration is enabled. I suppose I don't know what to expect, but I guess I assumed things would be a bit speedier, especially with the GTX 960.

A standard 1 hour episode (OK, 45 minutes) takes approximately 36 minutes to process. I was thinking half that? When I use GPU-Z I see my card only running along at 1%, which I assume is what it takes to run my screen.

I truly have done a bunch of searching, but so far most of this is greek to me, and I'm hesitant to start mucking around with stuff until I better understand what I'm doing. Any help is appreciated. Here's a log file... https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcl8b3f7fn5a6iu/The%20Blacklist_KGWHD_2015_10_01_20_58_00.wtv-Convert%20to%20MP4-2016-03-08T07-33-41.5533895-08-00.log?dl=0
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2016 at 12:55 PM
If you go through your log file and search for nvenc you'll see that it's using your hardware acelleration. You can can customize your profile to enable/disable specific encoding parameters to get the most out of your nvenc encoder. (e.g. disable bpyramid)

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:09 PM
Thanks for the response. Frankly, I'd done the search of the log file, but missed that particular item. There's a lot of information available, and it's a bit (no offense) fragmented. But I'm trying to collate it in my brain. I'm also still not sure whether or not I should be pursuing trying to increase the processing speed, as I don't yet know what would be considered fast. So...

Here's another question that shouldn't require any real time. I'm assuming this line.... "2016-03-08T07:47:32 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.MencoderCropDetect --> Pos:2479.9s 74323f (89%) 548.60fps Trem: 0min 245582mb A-V:0.000 [745740:0]" is the line that shows the FPS being processed. Is that, indeed, a respectable speed for a system such as mine? Or does it seem that I have a hang up somewhere? I'm more than happy to continue looking through the various posts and customize my profile, but I can't tell if I need to. Make sense?
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2016 at 1:42 PM
That line is for cropping. If you go down further to ffmpeg and Nvenc you'll see your fps is 59

Best way would be to create a custom profile optimized for Nvenc. There are some gurus on the forum who could help. Or if you have something from ffmpeg forum you can use that in the profiles.

I would also start with turning off cropping and seeing how much improvement that gives.
I think Nvenc works best with a variable bitrate. Try using the "ll" preset and see remove the x264opts

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:26 PM
Well, I've continued to delve into the inner workings of MCEBuddy. Near as I can tell Handbrake won't start, which is perhaps why my conversion speed is so slow (Yes, rboy1, I read what you said above. I'm not ignoring it, just going one step at a time). The logfile shows this... WARNING> 2016-03-08T07:45:12 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Handbrake --> Handbrake failed, non 0 return code
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2016 at 6:26 PM
I would recommend not to post a single line, the lead upto it tells the story. It could just be checking for QuickSync support and exiting.

Also Handbrake doesn't support nvenc so if that's the goal, don't use profiles with handbrake or make sure that ffmpeg is the first one in the order as ffmpeg supports nvenc.

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:54 PM
Sorry about the single line, it's actually extracted from the supplied log file. Anyway, just changed the order to ffmpeg first, see what happens.