This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Video not displaying with correct aspect ratio

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:02 PM
Hi

Let me state up front that I don't think this is an MCEBuddy issue but it's part of the process I use to convert videos that I recorded so I'm covering all of the bases.

I'm recording UK Freeview SD programmes. These come in two physical resolutions, 720x576 and 544x576, I'm not having problems with the 720 recording but some of the 544 ones are not being displayed with the correct aspect ratio.

I've inspected the files with a variety of tools and can't see any difference in the file information for those that work properly and those that don't. The only common factor is that all of the videos affected appear to have been recorded on the same channel, but not all of the programmes from that channel are affected.

Basically the videos display at their native resolution even though the pixel AR and the display AR are set to show them as widescreen.

The recorded files are mpeg-2 in a .TS contained and I'm converting them with FFMPEG to DIVX, this file is then edited with VirtualDub to top and tail and remove any commercials. The profile I'm using is below.

As I said I don't think Buddy is the issue but can you think of anything else I can look at that might distinguish the files that work and those that don't

Thanks

[Divx AVI - Q=2]
Description=DIVX Quality = 2.
order=ffmpeg
ffmpeg-general=-threads 0
ffmpeg-video=-ss 3 -vcodec mpeg4 -vtag xvid -qscale:v 2 -f avi -flags +mv4+aic -g 300 -dts_delta_threshold 0 -sn
ffmpeg-audio=-acodec libmp3lame -ab 256k
ffmpeg-ext=.avi
ffmpeg-audiodelay=skip
PreConversionCommercialRemover=true
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2016 at 2:19 PM
Edited Mar 14, 2016 at 2:19 PM
That issue is specific to codecs, some codecs can only handle specific pixel configuration (square, multiple of 2, multiple of 8 or 16). The safest is multiple of 16. See in one of the profiles we've set it up to be a multiple of 16 and that should solve your issue.