This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

silicon dust borked it

May 13, 2016 at 4:15 PM
Silicondust released a update a few days ago to the win 10 app and now only 1 of my "converted from another source" recordings show up. this leads me to believe that the problem is they all have the same program id. if you still have the random program id mod, I would like to test it out, however it would have to recognize the old id as no id seeing as I do not have my originals any more. thanks
May 13, 2016 at 7:46 PM
I don't think that will work. We tried last time and it just ignored invalid id's.

Maybe you should raise a request with SD to fix what they broke or suggest a way to enter ID'sfor third party compatibility.

May 13, 2016 at 8:42 PM
maybe my memory is wrong but I thought it showed up last time, It just put them under a different menu for each show. I think if we keep the series id constant but vary the program id it may work better. thanks
May 14, 2016 at 4:08 PM
I figured I would test it manually using the dd/cat/hex editor method and it worked perfectly. Please note, I did have to move all of my old recordings to directories starting with a ".". I am uploading my metadata files now. thanks
May 14, 2016 at 8:53 PM
Okay thanks. Will put up a test build for you.
So to clarify can you explain what you're proposing, what should be constant and what should be randomized?

May 14, 2016 at 11:10 PM
According to my tests if we randomize the program id and keep the others as they were, it should work. However, I do not have my originals any more so in order for it to work it will have to count the old static program id as no program id in order to reconvert my shows. Please let me know when the build is uploaded. thanks
May 14, 2016 at 11:55 PM
please disregard my previous post. I ran some more tests and the series id also has to be varied. I recommend taking the tvdb series id and adding a few digits at the start to get it in range. thanks
May 15, 2016 at 3:47 AM
so Just to make sure I am explaining correctly. We need a random program id and a series id in the hdhomerun format based off tvdb or some other online database. That way, each individual series will have it's own unique series id. this is necessary for organizational purposes with in the hdhomerun view app. Also it will get confused and show nothing if they are all the same. I believe that the series id can be calculated quite easily by ether adding digits or setting up a simple proportion ie: a/b=c/d. It also has to overwrite the program id and series id for shows I already converted. Thank you for all you put in to make mcebuddy great.
May 16, 2016 at 12:57 PM
just curious how it is coming along. If there is anything else I can do, Please let me know.
May 18, 2016 at 1:41 PM
I can't seem to get into your other website. Is it down? Also please let me know if I can do anything else to get this silicon dust bug fixed. thanks
May 21, 2016 at 9:25 PM
I just noticed that you put through an update yesterday. I will test it. thanks
May 22, 2016 at 12:43 AM
Edited May 22, 2016 at 12:50 AM
I have been converting nonstop. however there is one tiny detail I think you missed. I do not have my originals any more so This will not work for me unless it counts the old static program id as no program id. thanks

edit: same for series id. thanks
May 23, 2016 at 2:00 PM
well, It took all day yesterday and all night but I managed to strip the metadata from the files. New problem. I used kodi to generate nfo files which I then plug into mcebuddy along with my stripped .mpg file. unfortunately, mcebuddy looks at tvdb before the nfo file and thus is not getting any metadata. I recommend ether a. moving up nfo on the list. or b. adding a goto upon failed imtb and successfull nfo. thanks. I appreciate all the hard work you put into mcebuddy. It truly is in a league of it's own. thanks
May 23, 2016 at 3:24 PM
Please disregard my previous post. all I had to do was rename the files. apparently, mcebuddy does not like to reconvert files with out metadata, without renaming them. It appears to be working. I will let you know how it goes. For those who want to strip the metadata off there files. please follow these steps.
  1. backup recordings
  2. install cygwin
  3. open command prompt and cd to recordings folder.
  4. run this command: for /R %a in (*.mpg) do c:/cygwin64/bin/tail -c +12032 "%a" > "%a.new" && move /Y "%a.new" "%a"
  5. Take a nap. this will take a while.
Please note this will overwrite all .mpg files in all subdirectories.
May 24, 2016 at 11:47 PM
You're right the XML metadata should overwrite any extracted information to allow for user overrides. Will update that the next build.

May 25, 2016 at 2:38 AM
thanks. As long as we are talking about metadata. It would be nice if mcebuddy could read the show information from the folder structure like kodi does. that way it can re convert videos that have lost their metadata or shows set up in in a kodi structure. I noticed that mcebuddy already outputs to it just fine. I got it to work but I had to manually rename 1800 files. I am still converting but so far so good.