This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Subtitles

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:49 AM
Edited Sep 15, 2016 at 3:49 AM
I consistently have trouble with subtitles. I am currently using version 2.4 beta 6. No matter what value I set the subtitle offset, I can't get all the shows to sync the subtitles appropriately. Some work at 2.6, some at 7, some at 2.5, etc. Right now I have it set so it only detects ads, add the appropriate chapters, and converts it to normal MP4. Since it's not deleting any part of the show, I would expect a subtitle offset of 0 to work, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Coordinator
Sep 15, 2016 at 12:16 PM
Can you elaborate what's the issue. Is the offset positive or negative. Are the subs titles going out of sync slowly over time. Are they changing with each recording.

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:34 PM
The subtitles are lagging the audio anywhere from 2-3 seconds or less, and sometimes they are in sync depending on the show. The subtitles do not go out of sync slowly over time.
Coordinator
Sep 15, 2016 at 4:38 PM
Okay that's good to know. Can you share two logs of conversions one where it's in sync and one where it is out of sync for us to compare and analyze.

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:03 AM
Edited Sep 16, 2016 at 1:03 AM
I will record a couple of shows tonight and post the logs, but it probably won't be until tomorrow.

I read on another post that the profiles are set to skip the first 3 seconds of the file. If I'm not deleting commercials, just marking them as chapters, could I remove the skip seconds from the profile? Would I then delete the "-ss 3" from the profile.conf and select the subtitle offset to 0 in the GUI to achieve this? i.e.

mencoder-general=-ss 3 -vf pullup,softskip,yadif=0:-1,hqdn3d,harddup

to

mencoder-general=-vf pullup,softskip,yadif=0:-1,hqdn3d,harddup

Thanks!
Coordinator
Sep 16, 2016 at 2:46 AM
Yes that's correct, but you should do it for ffmpeg and handbrake also (if they're in the same profile).

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:18 AM
Per your recommendations, I removed "-ss 3" and "--start-at duration:3" from ffmpeg and handbrake.

I also opened mcebuddy.conf and removed the "-ss 5" from all the lines under the section ffmpegbackupremux

I converted 4 shows so far and everything is looking pretty good. Thanks for the help!
Marked as answer by 798asdf9ekfas on 9/15/2016 at 8:28 PM
Nov 3, 2016 at 5:09 PM
Odd, I thought the reason for skipping the first few seconds was to remove any video corruption from a recording that may cause encoding problems. Here though, 798asdf9ekfas indicates that skipping the first seconds is only needed if you're going to cut commercials. I don't cut commercials and would love to get rid of the -ss options but have always left them for fear of running into trouble. Clarify?