This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Best way to deal with H264 transcodes / remuxes

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:39 AM
Hi, I was just wondering if you could give some advice on the best way to handle programs that are transmitted in H.264. My local DVB providers are slowly switching from mpeg2 to h264. I record all streams in .TS format (using Argus) and then run the all through MCEBUDDY.

The programs that come in native h264 take a lot longer to transcode obviously, and i've read the threads on the AllowH264CopyRemuxing setting, but my interpretation is that this only works if the origin format is wtv?

I transcode everything to .MP4 format with comskip detected ads saved as chapters and the metadata updates, which i'd like to continue, but with any native h264 recordings simply remuxed into MP4 with those improvements. I take it that they best/only way to handle this currently is to set up multiple profiles and use a string check for the channel name to use an alternate remux only profile.

Is this the recommended approach or is there a better way?
Coordinator
Sep 22, 2016 at 1:39 PM
Couple of things
1. AllowH264CopyRemuxing applies to any file, only that TS files are NOT remuxed, all other file formats are remuxed into TS. It is also set by default with the newer version of MCEbuddy
2. If you content is now is H.264 to being with, then recoding them will only lead to loss of quality, so your best bet is to use one of the Unprocessed profiles, they don't recode the video just copy and cut.