This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

updated - lost settings

Sep 26, 2016 at 5:58 AM
I thought that the readme indicated that recent versions of mcebuddy retained settings when uninstalling and upgrading/reinstalling. I just uninstalled, then reinstalled the latest beta, and all my settings seem to be gone. :(
Are they hiding on my system somewhere?
Thanks...
Sep 26, 2016 at 6:07 AM
KieranC wrote:
I thought that the readme indicated that recent versions of mcebuddy retained settings when uninstalling and upgrading/reinstalling. I just uninstalled, then reinstalled the latest beta, and all my settings seem to be gone. :(
Are they hiding on my system somewhere?
Thanks...
Man, this really stinks. Is there some way to make MCEBuddy only convert shows with a date later than some set date? My entire history is gone, and I don't want to re-encode everything....
Coordinator
Sep 26, 2016 at 10:44 PM
The readme file will explain to you where the settings are kept. If it didn't pick the up when you reinstalled then the file is inaccessible or corrupted. MCEBuddy stores a back of the settings in your home profile folder when uninstalled and restores it from there when you install the new one (do NOT copy it, it opens and reads the settings and then updates them). It just needs to be present and accessible in the profile folder when installing mcebuddy

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:04 PM
Edited Sep 26, 2016 at 11:07 PM
Yes, I know what the readme says, but can't find any of the files it says are kept, so was wondering if they are hidden or something. Somehow, they were not kept. My user profile folders are kept on a separate physical drive than the rest of the system (E:\ instead of C:) would that have caused the problem?
In the mean time, I was able to restore most of my mcebuddy system from memory. I am using the "archive" setting for now (was using delete) until I'm sure things are working as intended. Where is the archive folder kept? I can't find this information in the guides, faq's, or discussions on line.
Thanks,
KC
EDIT: FYI, this is roughly what I did to move my users folders to another drive:
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1964-users-folder-move-location-windows-10-a.html
Coordinator
Sep 26, 2016 at 11:28 PM
That's probably it the drive wasn't accessible when the software was removed. Nothing you can do about that.
Roll over the option to get pop up help. Archive by default is in the same folder as the recording however you can set your own archive folders for each task

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:59 PM
Thanks, I am trying to find the Archive folder remotely (I'm at work) on my server at home, and couldn't find it, and didn't have mcebuddy accessable to roll-over for instructions. Incidentally, my recording folder is on a NAS (synology) and there is no archive folder there. This is a different topic though. I'll look into it when I get home and start a different thread if I can't find it.

On the current topic though, why would the other drive be not accessible during uninstall?

Thanks again for your help.
Oct 23, 2016 at 5:51 AM
Hi,
Is there a way to manually create this settings backup so that I can manually restore my settings after an uninstall and update? Since the automatic method doesn't work for me (see previous posts in this thread/topic), I'd like to try to do it manually. Thanks....
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2016 at 1:44 PM
Before the uninstall completes the uninstaller copies the files in the config directory to the user profile path (c:\users\username typically) as defined on your windows %HOMEPATH% environment variables.
When installing a new version it check to see if there mcebuddy.conf file, history files, and profiles.conf files are present in the %HOMEPATH% directory and then reads them and copies the settings over into the new install. It does NOT replace them as is because the format of the settings may change. Hence don't overwrite them after the install with the old files but instead place them in the HOMEPATH folder before you install MCEBuddy and it should pick them up.

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:48 AM
So I thought I'd try a trick. I realized that my %homepath% variable is simply /users/username, without the drive letter. So I guessed that mcebuddy might be trying to write to c:\%homepath% which doesn't exist; my %homepath% is on drive E:. So I created a temporary folder with that path and name. Sure enough, after uninstalling the old mcebuddy, the config files were written to the fake %homepath% folder on the c-drive.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 10/27/2016 at 9:52 AM