This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

MKV Unprocessed and H.265

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:45 AM
I had run a few videos though the program where I didn't need comskip turned on. When I processed some videos where I did need it on I forgot to turn it back on. I had already processed the files into h.265 in a mkv container. I figured I run them though again using mkv unprocessed with comskip turned on since the description states it leaves the audio and video in the same format. When the files were done I noticed they increased from about 1GB in size to 3GB without the commercials. using mediainfo showed the video went from H.265 to Mpeg2.

Did I do something wrong? or does it not work with h.265?

log file for the unprocessed encode has been uploaded.
Coordinator
Oct 14, 2016 at 2:21 PM
So the issue here is that comskip doesn't support h.265 yet (nor do the other underlying programs like subtitle extractor etc). Hence when you try to process the h.265 file mcebuddy converts it to mpeg2 so that the underlying programs can process it. As you've selected an unprocessed profile it then proceeds to retain the current format (which is now mpeg2).

so unfortunately if you need to run h.265 files through comskip you'll have to either use a h.265 profile (which will reconvert the mpeg2 back to h.265) or have it stay as mpeg2.