This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

More Metadata Details

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:18 PM
I record through nextPVR which provides a very detailed xml file of metadata for each show. I keep it hidden in the Alternate Data Stream of the file, but export it to a file during conversion (h264/mp4) and even copy it to the ADS of the new .mp4.

It seems that MCEBuddy largely uses this metadata in renaming the files. I'm not interested in renaming files but I'd like for as much of this metadata as possible to end up in the new .mp4 as tags(?) instead of depending on the ADS to contain the info.

I have played with ffmpeg -f ffmetadata and -map_metadata. It would be difficult for me but I might be able to write a script that would convert the nextPVR metadata.xml to a FFMETADATA1 file to then import with something like:
ffmpeg -i inputfile.mp4 -i ffmetadata1.txt -map_metadata 1 -codec copy outputfile.mp4
But when I write this, I seem to loose other metadata that MCEBuddy put in, for example:

Here is global metadata before:
General
Complete name                            : D:\HTPCData\Misc\testconvert\moretests\Modern Family_20160316_20002031.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID                                 : mp42 (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size                                : 832 MiB
Duration                                 : 34 min 58 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 3 325 kb/s
Collection                               : Modern Family
Track name                               : Modern Family
ContentType                              : TV Show
Recorded date                            : UTC 2016-03-17 02:00:00
Encoded date                             : UTC 2016-10-26 04:07:56
Tagged date                              : UTC 2016-10-26 04:19:10
Writing application                      : MCEBuddy
Then applying:
;FFMETADATA1
network=7.1-ABC
show=Modern Family
title=The Cover-Up
year=2016
genre=Other
synopsis=Phil has a new client whom he tries to hide from his wife because she's attractive, while Claire would rather keep her hot yoga instructor a secret. Elsewhere, Jay becomes preoccupied making a Web show, but is tormented by an Internet troll\; and Lily is nervous about learning to ride a bicycle, and her parents aren't exactly the best teachers.
I get this:
General
Complete name                            : D:\HTPCData\Misc\testconvert\moretests\Modern Family_20160316_20002031-withmeta.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size                                : 833 MiB
Duration                                 : 34 min 58 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 3 330 kb/s
Collection                               : Modern Family
Track name                               : The Cover-Up
Genre                                    : Other
Writing application                      : Lavf57.41.100
LongDescription                          : Phil has a new client whom he tries to hide from his wife because she's attractive, while Claire would rather keep her hot yoga instructor a secret. Elsewhere, Jay becomes preoccupied making a Web show, but is tormented by an Internet troll; and Lily is nervous about learning to ride a bicycle, and her parents aren't exactly the best teachers.
TVNetworkName                            : 7.1-ABC
I've lost record/encode date and some other data changed like the codec ID (not sure how significant that is). Is there an easy/different way to do all this?

I can see of course that MCEBuddy writes metadata tags to mp4 but I don't know what command is used or where it gets the information for the tags or if I can modify that command. Is there a way to increase which tags are written to the final file and from where the information is received?
Nov 9, 2016 at 1:03 AM
I might not be correctly providing my metadata.xml file to MCEBuddy. I'll double check that the .xml is being created (extracted from the ADS that nPVR makes).
Nov 11, 2016 at 7:46 PM
Yeah, I'm an idiot. I finally properly provided the metadata info in a .xml file that MCEBuddy now can read. MCEBuddy properly adds this meta to my new file using atomic parsley. Sorry for the confusion. Adding metadata to a .mp4 file is working well.
Marked as answer by eskimoquin on 11/11/2016 at 12:47 PM