This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

custom cuts question

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:36 AM
I would like to go back through a video with an edl file and modify the cut start and end point, but the only way I can do that is by removing the cut and recreating it. That seems to defeat the purpose of being able to jump easily to these locations. It would be ideal if you could simply jump to a start or end position, and re-set the start or end cut manually, without having to recreate the entire cut start and end. am I missing something? Thanks
Doug
Nov 11, 2016 at 3:46 AM
I'll try to help for the sake of trying. I didn't understand much of what you were asking but the first phrase:
I would like to go back through a video with an edl file and modify the cut start and end point
Sorry if this is way off, but wouldn't simply editing the edl file achieve this? If your edl file looks like this:
0.00    2.85    0
490.23  631.88  0
966.58  1091.91 0
1108.92 1202.82 0
1529.94 1682.33 0
Then you could edit the times as you want. Sorry if I completely didn't understand what you wanted.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 11/15/2016 at 4:07 PM
Coordinator
Nov 15, 2016 at 11:07 PM
Not sure what you're asking, if you want to replace a "start-end" cut section, just remove it and add the new corrected start/end cut and it'll automatically insert it in the correct order. You can't individually edit just the start or end from the GUI, this was done so as to avoid folks accidentally overwriting an existing cut. The other alternative is to open the EDL file and manually update the single start/end point you want.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 11/15/2016 at 4:07 PM
Nov 18, 2016 at 1:27 PM
Thanks, yes that is what I was asking for...it would be nice to be able to deal with one end or the other separately, but I see how it works now. I also learned that I could use the arrow keys to step through the frames, which made a huge difference in my being able to edit the edl more quickly.

Just curious, why does playback in the custom cuts gui not play smoothly, but playing the mp4 outside of that tool plays normally?
Coordinator
Nov 22, 2016 at 6:28 AM
It uses windows directshow filters so it just depends upon how you're directshow filters are setup. MCEbuddy has no control over that.