This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

MCEBuddy Service continuously wakes up computer from sleep

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:23 AM
Hi,
I'm having a problem where my computer is waking from sleep quite frequently, that is not consistent with the wake schedule configured in mcebuddy. I need some help figuring out why it keeps waking the computer.

Thanks
Coordinator
Nov 16, 2016 at 10:34 PM
That a general windows issue (and a VERY complex one too), try checking out the performance/power management tool in WMI to isolate the issue. you'll have to google this one, it's a bit technical.
Coordinator
Nov 16, 2016 at 10:35 PM
Nov 18, 2016 at 3:04 AM
rboy1 wrote:
Try this

http://lifehacker.com/how-find-out-what-woke-up-your-computer-last-1550549116
Hi, yes I've done some investigative work and I've come to the conclusion its MCEBuddy waking it up. The powercfg command actually tells me "Uknown Source", so I've had to go to the windows event viewer to find out.

The System Log will show:

The system has resumed from sleep.

Sleep Time: ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎18T03:44:01.718676200Z
Wake Time: ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎18T03:44:18.840019500Z

Wake Source: Unknown

So I have to go to the Application Log and correlate the time with this system event.
I will find events with Source: MCEBuddy2x as:

MCEBuddy OnPowerEvent called by System, Event -> ResumeSuspend
and
PowerEvent handled successfully by the service.

Throughout the day, randomly its waking up the computer that has nothing to do with the schedule. My scheduling Starts at 10:15pm and stops at 11:15PM, and tried with and without the Wake option, but seems to still have the same affect. I've confirmed its the MCEBuddy service also because I've gone into services and stopped the MCEBuddy service for a day and during that time I get no issues. Sadly, this is my only option - to stop and start the service manually - if i dont want to keep my computer awake at all times of the day.
Coordinator
Nov 22, 2016 at 6:26 AM
If the wake option is disabled then MCEBuddy can't wake up the computer since it doesn't send a wake schedule/command. What you're seeing in the logs is the "response" to the waking of the computer, not the source. I suspect it's something like a mouse waking up the computer.
Here's how it works, when you configure MCEBuddy to wake the computer, it actually enabled the global wake plus a specific timer, however as a results any other device can possibly wake up the computer also. In our tests we've found an errant mouse would send a wake command and wakeup the computer. If MCEbuddy was the source you'll find "MCEBuddy" in the source and not "unknown". "unknown" is typically hardware. I would suggest remove all devices from your computer and then try it.