This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

MCEBuddy and Plex DVR Post-processing Script

Feb 14 at 5:17 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone have a current script for using MCEBuddy and Plex DVR? The Reddit links all point to virus-y file share sites.

Thanks all!
Feb 15 at 12:21 PM
a script to do what? You point MCE Buddy to where your recordings are sitting, you tell it what to do and where to put the new file.
Mar 3 at 8:42 PM
The Redit post takes care of issues with less popular shows, and MCEBuddy / PlexDVR interection breaking the Gracenote data. thus causing plex not to know what the show is. an example would be a pbs wood working show.

I got the file from the virus-y site a while ago, posted the contents and the owner asked me to delete my post. apparently it's the only way he can track who is using his method :rolleyes

Anyhow... That was months ago. For me I found it to be too much trouble. Not sure if it was solved in a later PlexDVR beta or not. but I'm no longer doing post-processing and I just use MCEBuddy to convert the files.

I posted on the plex forum here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/253469/commercial-stripping-just-say-no

I attached a pdf of my one note doc of my settings. maybe it will help get you started?
Apr 2 at 9:57 PM
I'm trying to use the reddit posters script as well.
I'm having an issue with MCEbuddy and the post-processing script.
It seems as though PlexDVR runs the script "successfully" but I never see the video file get to to MCE's queue.
When I look in the MCE logs, it tells me that the files is missing (from the .grab folder). This is likely because PlexDVR moved it to it's appropriate folder.

The other issue I have is the MCE logs constantly try to check for the manual queues files. It's as if these files are still sitting in a queue. I have restarted the MCE service, but the software still outputs the following in the logs (these are test recordings):

WARNING> 2017-04-02T17:32:08 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Manually selected file M:\Videos\Recorded TV Shows.grab\07ab237baddfbeda3ab7ffb6b2ab872bea1eaad5\Saturday Night Live (1975) - 2009-02-07 00 00 00 - Bradley Cooper; TV on the Radio.ts does not exist or MCEBuddy doesn't have read permissions, skipping
WARNING> 2017-04-02T17:32:08 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Manually selected file M:\Videos\Recorded TV Shows.grab\2760e762c500242f43bf1c5d1a4b59c166b4a821\The Henry Ford's Innovation Nation (2014) - S03E18 - Jet Surfboard.ts does not exist or MCEBuddy doesn't have read permissions, skipping
WARNING> 2017-04-02T17:32:08 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Manually selected file M:\Videos\Recorded TV Shows.grab\89463a1069dc0656820d8b78ac2262cb29421c55\Joel Osteen (1999) - 2017-04-02 00 00 00 - Episode 04-02.ts does not exist or MCEBuddy doesn't have read permissions, skipping
WARNING> 2017-04-02T17:32:08 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Manually selected file M:\Videos\Recorded TV Shows.grab\d1ef8b559855cd03121d52000cd9ac999bf5af1d\Small Town Big Deal (2012) - 2016-03-29 00 00 00 - Cornbread Galore.ts does not exist or MCEBuddy doesn't have read permissions, skipping
Coordinator
Apr 8 at 1:30 AM
Manual added files are stored in a file called ManualQueue, just delete it otherwise it'll keep retrying the file.
Apr 15 at 6:18 AM
FWIW, I found it a lot simpler to avoid the post processing script and instead set up a new directory where Plex records shows. Then I set up two profiles: one that removes commercials, one that doesn't. I have MCEBuddy grab the completed recording, apply the correct conversion based off the file name, and replace it back in the same spot. It's a little fragile because it's based on file names and I have no margin of error with Comskip, but it's generally successful. I wish Plex had a file format that stored show metadata, but that's a request for another forum ;)
May 19 at 4:05 PM
Edited May 19 at 4:07 PM
WillTschumy wrote:
FWIW, I found it a lot simpler to avoid the post processing script and instead set up a new directory where Plex records shows. Then I set up two profiles: one that removes commercials, one that doesn't. I have MCEBuddy grab the completed recording, apply the correct conversion based off the file name, and replace it back in the same spot. It's a little fragile because it's based on file names and I have no margin of error with Comskip, but it's generally successful. I wish Plex had a file format that stored show metadata, but that's a request for another forum ;)
I've also found it easier / better to skip post processing script ... Admittedly things may have changed since I last tried post processing. but the issue I ran into there is when I had multiple recordings going on it got confused and then the recording never showed up in Plex.

As I mentioned one of the issues with modifying the plex recording is that you would lose the metadata.. but then I found where you said this (on the plex forum):

WillTschumy wrote:
I posted this on another thread, but it seems relevant - I record a lot of news as well.

I gave up on the post-processing scripts. Instead, I have MCEBuddy watch the folders where the recordings are saved. When a new recording comes in, it grabs the file, processes it, and replaces it in the same spot. Works great.

A couple tricks I've found along the way:
Be sure to set the DVR to remux (to MKV) and then chose MKV profiles in MCEBuddy with no renaming. That way Plex thinks it's the same file and preserves the metadata.

Secondly, you can set MCEBuddy to only run a given profile on certain locations - I have two sets of locations (TV with commercials, TV without commercials) and another corresponding pair for movies. Since I know by channel if a given recording will have commercials or not, I chose where the recording is stored, and based on that, MCEBuddy pulls commercials out or not. It works great. For no commercials, I use MKV High and for commercial removal, I use MKV Fast in MCEBuddy.
And that's been working well- I do however wonder about Cayers coment about de-interlacing: (again on plex forum)

Cayers wrote:
How are you handling de-interlacing of the 1080 content? 1080 in the US is almost always interlaced while 720 is progressive. MCEBuddy doesn't handle this to well.
Any thoughts on how to handle this with MCEbuddy?

link to plex forum topic: