This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Nvidia gtx 560 hardware lack of acceleration

Feb 14 at 8:36 PM
Edited Feb 15 at 1:06 PM
I've been running MCEBuddy for a couple of years very happily, and I'm pretty sure hardware acceleration was never working, but things were going fast enough, so I didn't look into it. But then a few weeks ago, I upgraded to the newest release of MCEBuddy (2.4.6), and things really slowed down.

First, I discovered that the fresh update had overwritten my poorly installed Donator copy of Comskip, so I downloaded a fresh copy, installed it in a different directory, repointed the link to Comskip in the Settings, and that part started working just fine again.

In the process, however, I had started to look at the heretofore unexamined log files, and discovered a stack of persistent errors, in addition to no entries at all about my Nvidia card. So I went through the doc on this forum and ploddingly installed first Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2013 (and the considerable overburden of crap that comes with it), then the recommended CUDA package (7.5) from Nvidia. It all went in with no errors, and with plenty of reboots, so no reason to be suspect.

Then I turned on hardware acceleration in the MCEBuddy settings, and ran a conversion. The log file bore an exact resemblance to all those that had come before, i.e., no change.

It seems clear that the Intel QuickSync method is preferred, but I had bought a processor without onboard video (in order to save a few bucks: it's an Intel Core i5-2550K CPU @ 3.40GHz,), so I'm stuck with my Nvidia GeForce GTX 560, which is supposed to work, no? But it doesn't seem to, and I'm out of suggestions to make it work, so I'm posting this plea for help.

Here's a copy of a log file:

WARNING> 2017-02-14T12:26:00 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> TheMovieDB failed
WARNING> --> Unable to connect to IMDB
Error -> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address)
at MCEBuddy.MetaData.IMDB.DownloadMovieDetails(VideoTags videoTags, Boolean dontOverwriteTitle, Log jobLog, Int32 offset)
WARNING> 2017-02-14T12:26:00 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> IMDB failed
WARNING> --> Cannot find Episode Name
WARNING> --> Cannot find PremiereYear
WARNING> 2017-02-14T12:26:00 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> SKIPPING FREE SPACE CHECK
WARNING> 2017-02-14T12:30:00 MCEBuddy.VideoProperties.VideoInfo --> No audio language selected, letting encoder choose best audio language
WARNING> --> Cannot get audio stream selection details, copying all audio streams
WARNING> --> Cannot get audio stream selection details, copying all audio streams
WARNING> 2017-02-14T13:09:43 MCEBuddy.CommercialScan.Remover --> Using FFMPEG instead of AVIDemux to merge tracks. There may be artifacts/issues with the video at the merged segments, set CommercialMergeTool=avidemux in the profile if you are facing issues
WARNING> 2017-02-14T13:14:40 MCEBuddy.VideoProperties.VideoInfo --> No audio language selected, letting encoder choose best audio language
WARNING> 2017-02-14T13:16:52 MCEBuddy.VideoProperties.VideoInfo --> No audio language selected, letting encoder choose best audio language
WARNING> 2017-02-14T13:17:00 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Handbrake --> Handbrake failed, non 0 return code
WARNING> 2017-02-14T13:30:12 MCEBuddy.Transcode.ConvertWithFfmpeg --> Cannot get Audio stream details, continuing with default Audio Language selection

I should also say that the resulting files work just fine and sound good, it's just that it makes me crazy when I can't get stuff to work as advertised . . .

Thanks in advance (and thanks for making such a great program!).

Mike out
Feb 17 at 3:42 PM
gtx 560 is fermi. Nvenc (nvidia hardware acceleration) requires minimum kepler for h264 and 2nd gen maxwell (gtx 9xx) for h265.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 2/24/2017 at 7:25 AM
Feb 23 at 10:45 PM
Thanks. I guess that explains it, then.
Feb 23 at 11:38 PM
You are welcome. Sorry for the bad news. On the plus side, amazon has some good deals on the gtx 1050 right now and it just might be time for an upgrade.
Mar 7 at 2:52 PM
Hate to be a pest, but you should know the answer, and I'd just be guessing . . . I'm not a gamer, but do believe in good hardware, so:

Will the on-board volume of memory (2g as opposed to 4g) on a newer video board have an appreciable affect on performance with converting videos using MCEBuddy?

Thanks, and best regards,
Mike
Mar 7 at 8:29 PM
I am not a gamer ether. That being said my gtx 1080 never goes above 900 mb of ram used when converting videos even though I have 3 monitors running at the same time. I don't think 2gb vs 4gb will make a huge difference. However, The newer board may have other features that may make it faster ie: gtx 950 vs. gtx 1050 vs gtx 1080. Also according to amazon the gtx 1050 has 2 gb of ram while the gtx 1050 ti has 4 gb of ram. Those 2 letters make a big difference the ti name is generally reserved for more powerful chips and thus faster conversion times. So if I had the choice I would go for the 4 gb model but not because of the ram.
Mar 8 at 5:08 PM
Thanks a bunch! I've been operating networks since 1979, but obviously there are huge holes in what I know. I do know that the shared expertise available on forums like this is pure gold, particularly compared to the technical support phone calls of yesteryear. I really appreciate you sharing your experience!
Mar 9 at 11:27 PM
Not a problem, I am always glad to help